If you don't own a media streamer but still want to watch plenty of great television content without cable TV, and you own a Sony PlayStation, you can use it instead.
Here's How To Do It:
- Turn on your PlayStation and make sure it's connected to the internet.
- On your console, navigate to the PlayStation Store.]
- Search for the streaming app you want to use (e.g., Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime Video) and download it to your PlayStation console.
- Open the streaming app and sign in using your account information. If you don't yet have an account you'll need to visit the streaming app provider's website and create an account first and provide billing info if it's a paid service.
- Browse the selection of movies and TV shows available on the app and select one to watch.
It's important to mention, that while you can stream plenty of content on a Sony PlayStation, it does not give you the same number of apps you would be able to use on a media streamer especially made for this purpose. But using your console is a great way to see what it's like to stream, without first needing to buy extra hardware.
If you find the Sony PlayStation works well enough, you can even enhance it by buying a remote control for it.
Sony offers an official remote control for the PlayStation 5 and PlayStation 4 consoles, which can be purchased separately. These remote controls are designed specifically for PlayStation consoles and include dedicated buttons for easy navigation and control of streaming apps.
eBay is a great source to find PlayStation remotes refurbished, open box, or lightly used. Click here for money-saving options.